Wednesday, March 1, 2023

English Paper piecing - February progress

Here it is the end of February and the start of March, and it is time for an update on how the throws are progressing. English Paper piecing is still that project that is so relaxing that I try and put some effort into it each week. It may not get a lot of time at once, but even that hour here and there helps move the projects forward.

One thing that I have been working on this month is trying to find the various ways to finish a quilt top once it is done. I have been watching a lot of different videos to see what I like and what I think might work for my projects.

Large motif throw - this project got some time again this month, as I am looking forward to having all of these motifs joined together. I was able to add another 20 motifs to this throw in February, so that isn't too bad. I have got over the 50% joined now so that is good and only have 67 more motifs to go. I currently have 77 motifs joined.

Of course, after the motifs are all joined it is the quilting and finished of the throw, but that is ok. I am looking forward to getting to the point where I am figuring out how many more motifs go in the various sections of the throw, and I don't think that is going to be long, as I am already working on the areas that are getting close to the 12 motifs across and 12 motifs high. I am currently at 10 motifs, so shouldn't be long now.

Scrap throw - this project also got a bit of attention in February, and I attached 16 motifs to it. This project is going to take a lot longer to get done, but I am enjoying it, so I am not going to complain. Being able to see some progress on this project each month is nice, even if it is just getting a few motifs added.

It is fun working on this project, as the joining of a motif doesn't take as long as joining the larger motifs. As I want the large motif throw completed, I have to try and focus on that one and not let this one become the major focus.

The other thing about this project is I haven't finished making all the motifs, so that is something else that I was working on in February. Making motifs is so relaxing and is something that I can do after dinner while sitting and chatting with my husband. 

Most of the remaining motifs that I need for the throw are ready to be made, so hopefully over the next couple of months I can continue to work on getting more of them into the bag of completed motifs.

Bag of small motifs - when I say that I have a lot of motifs still to join on the scrap throw, here is the bag that I am currently working with. Between what I have joined together and what is in this bag, I have about 70% of the motifs ready for this throw. It is a lot of fun working on the various stages of this throw because each part has a different level of relaxation involved. Making motifs are relaxing, and joining motifs are also relaxing. 

I will see what happens in March, as I would like to continue to join motifs to the scrap throw as well. I may not focus on this one as much as the large motif throw, but it should get a little bit of attention.

Fun comparison - here are the two throws, with the scrap throw on top of the large motif throw. Took this picture to show something that I wanted to illustrate. The large motif throw has 77 motifs joined together, and the scrap throw has 71 motifs joined.

The sizes of the motifs are a lot different, with the large ones being 2 inches and the scarp motifs being 3/4" inch. Yes, you can complete a throw faster with the larger motifs, but I do enjoy the smaller motifs a little more.

March is now here, so that means I need to start working on moving both of these projects forward again. I will see what I can get done this month and hopefully will have some progress to show you at the end of the month.


No comments: