Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sock progress

I have finally started the sock and after a couple of challenges I think I am making some progress.  The first challenge was how to hold the needles as I normally use long straight needles and tuck the right needle under my arm while I knit.  I am still not comfortable holding the needles but at least I am knitting the sock.

I am determined to make this pair of socks as after completing my very first sock I heard "When are you taking it out and starting over".  I know it is going to take me some time to get through all the different parts of the sock but at least I am going to try and see how it goes.  Some people have laughed when I say I have knit for over 35 years but never knit a pair of socks so once these socks are finished I am going to be able to say I have knit a pair of socks.

Day 1
This is a picture of the start of the sock and I have two inches knit on the cuff on the sock so feeling pretty good about it.  Now to see how long it takes me to get the cuff and then the left done as I have to knit a total of 8 inches.

I have some work to do today and then I am going to try and knit a little bit this evening on the sock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, CraftKitten! I've been knitting for about 30 years also. About 2 years ago I made my first pair of socks. I haven't made any since and I haven't even worn them!

Who is worse, you or me?!

Heather said...

Looking good! My only suggestion would be to switch to five needles. I think it is a little easier to manage (surprisingly), and you are less likely to get laddering between the needles.

Katherine said...

Shaping up nicely, Darlene. I love the way this yarn is knitting up.
Katherine