Friday, September 1, 2023

English Paper Piecing - August progress

Here it is the start of another month and yes, I was able to spend some time last month working on my English Paper piecing projects. It doesn't look like I did quite as much as I hoped, but at least I was able to work on two projects and make some progress on both.

Table runner - this project did get quite a bit of attention as I wanted to see if I could figure out if I wanted to make it larger or not. By the end of the month, I was getting close to the width of the runner, so decided that I needed to make some more motifs for this project.

This table runner has been a lot of run to work on, and I am looking forward to seeing what it looks like once I have added the rest of the motifs. I have been trying to make this project my focus project, but of course some of the other projects are also getting a bit of attention.

Scrap throw - the scrap throw didn't get a lot of attention in August, but that didn't bother me at all. I have started to make the motifs that I will be using for the border, so that was the focus in August. Hopefully during September, I will be able to work on attaching more of the motifs to the scrap throw, as I would like to see the width of the throw before too long.

Other notes - in July and August I was also able to go to two quilt stores and of course, you know when you go to quilt stores you end up with fabric. In July there was a garage sale at Ultimate Sewing Centre, and they had what they called stir-fry containers and what was in them was scraps of fabric and other items. I ended up getting three of these stir-fry containers and just recently decided to sit down and iron all the fabric that was in the containers and see how much fabric I ended up with. It was a lot of fun going through all the fabrics, and I think I have enough fabric to make 772 1-inch motifs or a throw around 40" x 48".

The other quilt store I went to was in August, and it was also a lot of fun, and it was Country Concessions Quilt Shop, and I was lucky enough to go there during their birthday bash. Again, I couldn't leave that shop without adding a little bit more fabric to my pile, so I added a few more fat quarters to the pile that will be for my blue/teal throw that I hope to be able to get started before too long.

So yes, I have been having some fun going to quilt shops and looking at all the different fabrics. The other thing that I have found is that when I have been in these stores, I have been able to gain quite a bit of knowledge just by listening to conversations and sometimes asking questions. The best comment I heard was, "Don't be afraid to ask a question, because we were all new to quilting and English Paper piecing at one time."

Well, I think that is all the update for this month, and hopefully next month I will be able to show more progress on at least a couple of projects. I also have to try and avoid starting to make motifs for another throw. Have a great month and I will see what I have to show you at the end of September.







 

No comments: