Tuesday, September 3, 2019

A bit of progress and a new project

Needleworker - Little House Needleworks
 Here it is Tuesday morning, and I have a bit of progress to show you from last week.  I didn't get a lot of time to stitch, but besides cross-stitching, I tried a new project.

Needleworker - August 27
 Needleworker - here is a project that I have wanted to stitch for a while.  I saw the original pattern by Little House Needleworks and the only way we could get the pattern was to buy the entire kit, but I could never find it, so I designed my version based on this design.  I know that mind isn't going to look exactly like the to picture, but that is fine with me as it is going to be something that I wanted.
I didn't get a lot of stitching done this week, but at least I was able to get 2.5 of the letters completed, so that is a start.  I hope to be able to pick this piece up again and see how much more of it I can get done over this coming month. We will see what it looks like when it is all stitched with the colours that I chose and the different placement that I did.
English Paper Piecing - August 27

English Paper Piecing - here is a project that I decided that I wanted to try and see what it was like.  This is English Paper Piecing, and I am currently working on making a sewing kit out of the hexagons that I have been making in the last week.  I wasn't sure how I was going to like this type of project as there is a lot of hand sewing, but I have been enjoying it.  The fabrics that I am using are remnants from other projects that we had done.

When I say that I am doing this to people, the first reaction I get is that sounds so difficult, and I couldn't do it.  I thought that at first as well but after doing a couple of the motifs I found it wasn't so difficult.  The biggest challenges that I have found so far is figuring out where to place each of the colours of fabric and then sewing some of the little seams when the paper is still in the surrounding motifs.  See with English Paper Piecing you select the fabric, and then you cover a template with the fabric.  You don't remove the template until you have finished sewing all the six sides of the piece onto another motif.
English Paper Piecing - September 1

I am currently working on sewing the motifs together for this sewing kit, but I do have fabric ready for some more projects.  I have found that this project is relaxing and it is how I have been spending my evenings.

My husband cut out the templates for me that I needed and after that, it was just a matter of sitting and making all the motifs and sewing them together.   I appreciate his help with getting all the templates cut out.


It is now time for me to get some work done that I need to get done today and then I will see what I do this evening.  I have lots of stitching that I would like to do as Linen and Threads has released the September section of the Mystery Stitch-a-long, and I also want to work on my sewing kit.  I guess I will have to see how the rest of the day goes and then I will decide what I work on this evening.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week and you find some time to do the things that you love even if it is only a few minutes a day.

No comments: