Monday, December 11, 2017

One Crazy Week

Schlock with Gun - December 3rd
 This last week was a crazy week in terms of getting time to stitch.  The main reason for that is I was at a conference for the first three days of the week and then there was the work that needed to get done once I was back and able to focus on work again.

Schlock with Gun - December 10th
Schlock with Gun - now this is the project that got the stitching attention this week and basically the attention it got was a little bit Thursday evening and then finally got some stitching time on Sunday. I actually focused on getting the outline of him done and that started to fill in the different areas.  It felt great being able to just work on one piece for a while and actually see a bit of progress.

I am going to continue to work on Schlock this week as I would like to see if I can get it finished quickly. As I was stitching on Sunday I decided to tweet out a picture of the progress and sent it off and tagged Howard Tayler (the artist of the original piece) and the result of this was a retweet by Howard and more than 20 likes on the tweet.  It felt great because it let me know that people like how the piece is coming along.

Day Dream - finished
Day Dream - now this is a piece that I finished in October and have been thinking about how I was going to finish it.  I had thought about putting it in a frame but then I am up with another idea and that is thanks to a video that I saw and it was another way to frame a small project.  The piece is actually only 4 inches by 6 inches so it meant I had some options and I am happy with the results.

What I did was I found an artist canvas that was 6 inches by 8 inches and also an artist canvas that was thin and 4 inches by 6 inches.  I painted the sides of the big canvas and used the smaller canvas to actually stretch the stitched piece on it.  Once the paint was dry I used some scrap book paper to actually cover the bigger canvas front and then I glued the stitched piece in the centre.  It was quick finish and something that is different.

original container
Tea containers - I had a few tea containers sitting around and wanted to cover them because I didn't like seeing the actual tea container sitting in various areas of the apartment as I was using the empty containers as a method of collecting little bits of garbage where I didn't have a garbage can.
duct tape selection

Of course, there was the idea of just leaving them as is but that wasn't going to work for me so thanks to my husband he went and grabbed his collection of duct tape to see if that might be an idea to help me cover the tins.  I then grabbed some of the fabric that I had left over from some of my ETSY projects. After a few minutes and some laughing the containers were changed into something that I was a little happier with.
containers covered

As you can see we ended up covering three of the tins different because I kept wanting to try how each of them was going to turn out. The actual duct tape ones were ok but they just weren't what I really liked so that is when the fabric came out and was used. When I was using the fabric I had said that I might need some trim on it because I needed a method to cover the edges and that is when the narrow black duct tape seems to work well.  Now the tins are in the areas that they were and I am a lot happier with what they look like.

covered with fabric trimmed with tape
duct tape version

This coming week I hope to be able to spend a bit more time stitching but once again I will have to see how works go. I am going to try and find some time most evening to at least get a few stitches in on some of the projects that I have on the go.    I am also hoping that I can spend a bit of time working on a couple of other projects but will see how things go.  I also have a couple of gifts that I need to finish so they are on the list of things to get some attention this week.



1 comment:

Lindsay said...

You were the only person to comment on my post for the Dragon looking for a new home but your a no reply blogger so I can't get hold of you :(