Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week 2 of teaching kids to knit

Friday I went back to the centre to continue teaching the children how to knit.  I had 7 children this week and have to admit that I think this week went even better than last week.

The good news is one of the children from the first week came into the room to show me the progress on the scarf.  The scarf was finished and it looked great, so the first child to finish the scarf was a boy and it made me feel very happy.  I told him I was very proud of him and the look on his face was amazing.  Hearing the words "Thanks you so much for teaching me to knit" meant a great deal to me.  I am now going to put some more instructions together for him because he wants to try more.

This week I had 2 boys and 5 girls and by the time each of them left they were knitting at least a bit.  One of the boys asked if I had purple yarn because he wanted to knit the scarf for his teacher.  I really hope that this teacher appreciates the scarf because he is trying hard to make it look good for her.

So I have taught/shown 13 children how to knit so far and still have 13 to go over the next two weeks so we will see how many scarves actually get completed.

I wish more of the schools would teach the children basic craft and home skills.

No comments: